Skip to main content

Aran granny square cushion construction

Joining using join as you go method 

 My festive make started in early December kind of by accident. I was looking through my Aran yarn stash after knitting so many hats and I was wondering what to do with the left over yarn both hand dye and Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran and sat down to make a couple of  little granny squares (photo below)


This is how it started 

I really liked how quick they were to crochet so during my Christmas break from work I made about 50 over a few evenings and the odd lunch break, they are quite addictive! It’s a great stash buster project and I do love mixing up the colours and using up some yarn


Starting to take shape


Then I started to join them using join as you go method JAYG. I love using this method each one joined with a different colour. I love the little hinges and the vintage patchwork effect - so my little cushion project was well under way


Joining more granny squares 2 sides now

I decided to use a 32 x 32 cm cushion pad I’d bought in Dunelm, it’s the perfect size for 16 x 16 granny squares. 

Each granny square is made up of 2 colours then I joined each one using JAYG on round three,  I flipped it over on each row

After I’d made a batch of 32 (round 2) granny squares I sat and sewed in the ends. You should really do this because joining in round 3 makes it a little tricky to sew in afterwards

It doesn’t take that long as they are so small and once you’ve done this you’ve only got a little sewing to do as you join them, which again I do as I finish each one


Sewing in the ends

Once you have 32 granny squares to round 2 you are ready to start joining. The first granny square is finished to round 3 because you are going to attach granny square 2 to this one

Sew in the ends as you go along - again it makes it easier as you join each square. Using JAYG join squares 2-4 for the first row using a different colour for each join

Then working from the first row of 4 granny squares (left to right) join the next 4 and so on until you have 16 granny squares joined - that’s your first side completed

For the second side use the same method as above, joining 4 granny squares then 8 until you have 16 completed

Make sure you’ve sewn in all your ends. I do this on the wrong side of each panel. To join both sides with wrong sides together (right sides facing you) you will now join the two pieces together using just single crochet, no zips or buttons! 

I started mine just before the first corner, about 5cm . Join your joining colour and ch1 then sc through both sides and all loops (see photo below as a guide)




You can see from the photo above sc in progress and the loops you need to use

Here’s a corner shot, you can see how neat the corner is just by following the stitches from both sides, it’s very easy



Once you’ve reached the 4th corner insert your 32 x 33cm cushion pad carefully, you can add a stitch marker to your live stitch as this will stop it unraveling 

Now you will continue to sc both sides together until you reach your starting point. I did a ss (slip stitch) to the first sc and carefully sewn in the tail under the first sc section, cutting off the surplus yarn


And here it is finished. It’s now sitting beside me on my sofa as I type this post and I’ve started the second one!

I’ll add some more information on JAYG in another post as I have a tutorial from a previous pattern

Comments

Unknown said…
Thanks for these instructions. I look forward to your further post about the JAYG!

Popular posts from this blog

Denim Daisy Granny Square construction

And here it is all finished last Friday, just in time for a heat wave! Seriously I do love this jumper and it fits so well with a white t shirt underneath, jeans and flip flops. Just waiting for the cold spell so that I can wear it out (rather than around the garden when its cooled down in the evenings!). I haven't written a pattern as such just some helpful notes from my pad. If people want to know how to construct one have added some notes below. As you know the Daisy Granny Square is the design of Sue Pinner from her book  Granny Squares published 2013. I do love Sue's book, its packed with so many projects and ideas and the photos are beautiful. The daisy granny square pattern is quite addictive and you soon have a small pile of them in no time! I have an idea to make another one for the autumn in the same Debbie Bliss Rialto DK yarn but all edged in shade 90 honey, I have enough in my stash. Construction  Notes:  You need to make 18 granny squa

cables without the cables (Birch Trees scarf)

Earlier this year I came across this lovely Birch Trees Scarf knitting pattern over at Hand Knitted Things . Its one of those patterns that you just have to try because its so pretty and very practical and looks far more intricate and complicated than the 4 row pattern suggests. I like to call it cables without the cables, such a clever pattern thank you Julia Marsh.  I'm knitting mine on vintage no. 7 needles (kindly given to me by my mother-in-law) and using Debbie Bliss Cashmerino charcoal out of my yarn stash that was meant to be for Ian's scarf! shh don't tell him! I use DB yarn all the time, picking up bargains in John Lewis and eBay but its the first time I've knitted with Cashmerino, and it isn't going to be the last. It gives you great stitch definition and the softest yarn ever, I love it. So here is my scarf in progress. It has been sitting in my car waiting to be loved again after I accidentally knitted the moss stitch border wrong. I know ho

My granny tee is finished

You might remember this post from about ten days ago, well I've now finished my 4th granny tee and I'm currently finishing off my fifth one this week that I stared last year (oops). Indigo Blue came about when I took delivery of my Scheepjes Skies mini skien box (heavy/aran) and I'm in love with this yarn! I was sitting watching a film when I had the sudden urge to crochet another Granny Tee by Sarah (aka annaboos house) The mini skeins are perfect and I ended up using two boxes plus a larger 100g skein for the sleeves and joining. It has amazing drape and the colours are a subtle shift of indigo that is going to look fabulous over a white t shirt with jeans and flip flops. Perfect partnership and so bang on trend for the tie dye look that's about for festivals for this summer.  The total cost was around GBP35 not including delivery and I think for a custom made jumper that's not a bad price. I measured it as I added rows then I added side slits to my g