Skip to main content
 

Chunky mustard hat with pom pom

Amanda Hurrell Eight-by-Six©




Sizes and Materials List

Needles: 9mm needles, you can use circular 60cm or straight (I’ve used circular)
knitters darning needle (metal or plastic)
small scissors
stitch marker (one)
one faux fur pom pom (mine are bought from Craftfriendsuk)


Yarn: King Cole Timeless Super Chunky 1 x 100g ball (90% premium acrylic 10% Alpaca, approximately 93 yards, 85 metres) colourway shown Mustard 4449

Tension: 10 stitches over 14 rows = 10x10cm

Wash care instructions: machine washable 30 degrees, cool tumble dry, no iron, no dry clean

Alternative yarn for second hat King Cole Explorer Super Chunky in colourway 4304 Hawkins
approximately 87 yards, 80 metres) 80% premium acrylic 20% wool
Wash care instructions: machine washable 30 degrees, no tumble dry, no iron, no dry clean
Tension: 10 stitches over 14 rows = 10x10cm

 


Abbreviations

Skill Level: beginner to intermediate. You need to know how to cast on, join in the round, decrease.

St: stitch
K: knit
P : purl
K2tog : knit 2 stitches together

 

Pattern Instructions

This pattern is written in U.K. terms for a medium adult beanie and it’s the one I use to make my chunky beanies I’ve recently shown on my Instagram account I’ve adapted it to work with the Timeless Super Chunky and Explorer Super Chunky. You won’t use the whole 100g ball of yarn so it’s not only quick to make but also economical for making Christmas gifts or charity hats. The yarn for the mustard hat contains a 10% Alpaca content making it soft with a lovely stitch definition.

Let’s start

Cast on 49 stitches using 9mm circular knitting needles using mustard yarn (or your yarn colour) I like to cast on one extra stitch because it makes the joining in the round easy and looks very neat. I use a cast on method called cable cast on, but you can use which ever you find easier. If you are not familiar with knitting in the round you can use straight knitting needles, cast on 48 stitches.

Once you have 49 stitches on your needles make sure all the stitches are facing the same way and not twisted. You will need to mark the start of the round with a stitch marker. 

To join in the round move the first stitch on your left hand needle (this is your extra stitch) onto your right hand needle and pass over the second stitch on your left hand needle. Your stitches are now joined and you are now ready to knit the 2x2 rib band. 

The 2x2 rib band
To start K2 then P2, continue to K2, P2 for a total of 6 rows.

As you work each 2x2 rib row, move the stitch marker to the first stitch for each round. This helps you keep track of where you are. You can use a row counter to keep track of your rows or use a note pad as I do. Because you are knitting in the round it’s a quick and easy make and not much sewing up at the end, even better! 

Once you have completed your 2x2 rib 6 rows in total you are now ready to knit the body, this is the easy bit. All you need to do is knit 20 rows. Because you are knitting in the round you don’t need to purl any stitches.

 

The decrease section

Row 27 : *K6, K2tog *repeat to end
Row 28 : Knit all stitches, remember to move your stitch marker
Row 29 : *K2, K2tog, K3 *repeat to end
Row 30 : Knit all stitches, remember to move your stitch marker
Row 31 : *K1, K2tog *repeat to end

You have completed your beanie hat. Cut your yarn leaving a long tail and thread the tail onto your darning needle (or knitters plastic needle) and carefully sew through the remaining stitches on your knitting needle. Sew back through part of the circle on the crown of your beanie and pass the thread through to the wrong side. You can securely sew in the end after you’ve attached your pom pom.

 

Adding your pom pom

I sew my pom pom threads each side of the crown to make it sit centrally. I then sew these either side of one of my large wooden buttons. This helps the pom pom sit in the right place whilst you are wearing the finished hat. Once I’ve sewn through the button holes, I make a secure bow and cut some of the thread but not all of it. If you need to remove the pom pom you simply untie the bow and leaving longer ties means you can re attach it easily.

 

Pattern and photos by Amanda Hurrell, Eight-by-Six©
You are welcome to use my pattern to make scarves to sell for personal use, but please do not copy or sell my pattern. A pdf version with some added photo instructions is available on my www.Lovecrafts.com  shop. Please credit me back with eightbysix, thank you. 

 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Denim Daisy Granny Square construction

And here it is all finished last Friday, just in time for a heat wave! Seriously I do love this jumper and it fits so well with a white t shirt underneath, jeans and flip flops. Just waiting for the cold spell so that I can wear it out (rather than around the garden when its cooled down in the evenings!). I haven't written a pattern as such just some helpful notes from my pad. If people want to know how to construct one have added some notes below. As you know the Daisy Granny Square is the design of Sue Pinner from her book  Granny Squares published 2013. I do love Sue's book, its packed with so many projects and ideas and the photos are beautiful. The daisy granny square pattern is quite addictive and you soon have a small pile of them in no time! I have an idea to make another one for the autumn in the same Debbie Bliss Rialto DK yarn but all edged in shade 90 honey, I have enough in my stash. Construction  Notes:  You need to make 18 granny squa

cables without the cables (Birch Trees scarf)

Earlier this year I came across this lovely Birch Trees Scarf knitting pattern over at Hand Knitted Things . Its one of those patterns that you just have to try because its so pretty and very practical and looks far more intricate and complicated than the 4 row pattern suggests. I like to call it cables without the cables, such a clever pattern thank you Julia Marsh.  I'm knitting mine on vintage no. 7 needles (kindly given to me by my mother-in-law) and using Debbie Bliss Cashmerino charcoal out of my yarn stash that was meant to be for Ian's scarf! shh don't tell him! I use DB yarn all the time, picking up bargains in John Lewis and eBay but its the first time I've knitted with Cashmerino, and it isn't going to be the last. It gives you great stitch definition and the softest yarn ever, I love it. So here is my scarf in progress. It has been sitting in my car waiting to be loved again after I accidentally knitted the moss stitch border wrong. I know ho

traffic jam (crochet simple granny triangle shawl)

I got stuck in the office on Monday night, not the best of situations but this estate I work on does get congested frequently and not helped by lorries breaking down blocking one lane of two. Anyway all was not lost because I'd had a new yarn delivery that morning and I needed an excuse to stop and crochet. And this is how this granny shawl got its name. Isn't it gorgeous? It's crochet in the new Sirdar Colourwheel DK yarn. On first inspection I wasn't that taken with it, but now I love it. No more colour changes, yipee. If you'd like to know how to make this here is the Simple Granny Triangle pattern I'm using or this link . Happy crocheting!