Skip to main content

crochet shawls spotlight

I'm a huge fan of crochet shawls. They are so versatile especially with our British summers! You can take them out for the day, small lightweight and portable and handy for when the weather turns chilly. I like to crochet mine quite big, big enough to wrap around you like a traditional shawl or worn tied around the front (a little more trendy). I've taken a few of mine to Whitstable over the past few years, to sit on the beach and watch the sunset and the ombre shawl to Brick Lane London for bagels!

The one shown below is the Ombre Shawl by Annaboos House (link to Etsy)

Ombre shawl by Annaboos House (taken in Brick Lane London 2018)

Here are a few of mine in progress and finished ones with links to the patterns, some are free and some are paid patterns. I'm using hand dye yarn and more affordable yarn cakes to give you an idea of what you can achieve on different budgets. Although I adore hand dye yarn, its not everyones taste or budget. I have some new yarn cake on order that will make a fab shawl in King Cole Curiosity, maybe just a plain granny style with little tassles.

Keep an eye on my Instagram account for weekly (daily) updates on my progress. With my office furlough scheme set to continue into the Autumn the seasons and colours are set to change in my shawls.

The shawl shown below is crochet using Sirdar Colorweel Dazzle in shade 505. I'm planning to use 2 cakes (150g) each and add either a lacy style border or tassles. This version will be for sale in my Etsy shop later this month or early August.

Sirdar Colourwheel Dazzle (shade 505)

A couple of other versions od yarn cakes are shown below. Both these shawls were sold through my Etsy store.

Ombre shawl in Sidar Colourwheel


Wishing Well shawl with hand made ceramic buttons (Cherry Hill Studio Clay)

The Wishing Well shawl shown above is a lovely free pattern on the Sewrella web site and uses Lion Brands Mandala Baby in colour wishing well (thats how it got that name!).

I have some lovely DK yarn perfect for an Autumn/winter shawl that I bought on an Instragram de-stash account. Isn't it lovely and bright. Jellybeans Yarns in colourway Seahorse Nebula sock yarn (75% merino 25% nylon) and I was lucky enough to buy 200g.


Seahorse Nebula (Jelly Beans Yarn) on sock 4ply merino

 The next shawl is by my lovely friend Fiona at Sew Happy Creative, she created this simple yet effective shawl pattern (lets see what happens) last October but I've only just got round to testing it and now have three on the go. Its very addictive and works so well in both hand dye sock and Dk yarn cakes. To make a yarn cake version you'll need 2 cakes which and with the current sales is around £11, incredible value and makes such a great gift too. To make a hand dye 4ply version you will need 200g total or use mini skeins (around £32)

The rainbow fade version in progress shown below is crochet using Fiona's hand dye yarn on a super wash merino base 75% with nylon 20% and 5% stellina. I've had this yarn for some time so you'll need to contact Fiona via her Etsy shop if you want to buy some or any of her fabulous yarns. I know a lot of my Instagram followers have asked me for all these details.

Rainbow fade using Sewhappycreative 20g mini skeins with sellina glitter



I'm currently waiting for a hand dye special order from Hedgerow Yarns needed to finish my summer shawl (shown below), I just loved the blue/grey colour so much that I put in a special request in to have a 100g dyed up. Please take a look at Hedgerow yarns, the tiddlers are my favourite and I buy them almost monthly now to collect them. Actually, thats how this shawl idea started.

Summer shawl using Hedgerow yarns tiddlers


People often ask me how I chose my colour schemes, I really wish I could tell you how I do it, but its kind of second nature it just happens like magic. Happy crocheting and dont forget you can contact me through my Instagram account.

I may have started another Ombre Shawl using these beautiful summer colours from Sew Happy Creative. I've been collecting them and now that Fiona has released some new colours they mix really well with these. The inspiration came from a visit to Audley End House and garden three years ago! Its amazing how I took this photo not knowing I'd start a shawl using the same colours.

Audley End the vegetable gardens


my summer shawl


Comments

mamasmercantile said…
All beautiful, so difficult to pick out a favourite.
Gorgeous shawls!! Definitely right...shawls are so practical! One of my favourite makes! I rather like that Jelly Beans Seahorse Nebula yarn...extraordinary blend of colours!!
keep well Amanda :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Denim Daisy Granny Square construction

And here it is all finished last Friday, just in time for a heat wave! Seriously I do love this jumper and it fits so well with a white t shirt underneath, jeans and flip flops. Just waiting for the cold spell so that I can wear it out (rather than around the garden when its cooled down in the evenings!). I haven't written a pattern as such just some helpful notes from my pad. If people want to know how to construct one have added some notes below. As you know the Daisy Granny Square is the design of Sue Pinner from her book  Granny Squares published 2013. I do love Sue's book, its packed with so many projects and ideas and the photos are beautiful. The daisy granny square pattern is quite addictive and you soon have a small pile of them in no time! I have an idea to make another one for the autumn in the same Debbie Bliss Rialto DK yarn but all edged in shade 90 honey, I have enough in my stash. Construction  Notes:  You need to make 18 granny squa

cables without the cables (Birch Trees scarf)

Earlier this year I came across this lovely Birch Trees Scarf knitting pattern over at Hand Knitted Things . Its one of those patterns that you just have to try because its so pretty and very practical and looks far more intricate and complicated than the 4 row pattern suggests. I like to call it cables without the cables, such a clever pattern thank you Julia Marsh.  I'm knitting mine on vintage no. 7 needles (kindly given to me by my mother-in-law) and using Debbie Bliss Cashmerino charcoal out of my yarn stash that was meant to be for Ian's scarf! shh don't tell him! I use DB yarn all the time, picking up bargains in John Lewis and eBay but its the first time I've knitted with Cashmerino, and it isn't going to be the last. It gives you great stitch definition and the softest yarn ever, I love it. So here is my scarf in progress. It has been sitting in my car waiting to be loved again after I accidentally knitted the moss stitch border wrong. I know ho

My granny tee is finished

You might remember this post from about ten days ago, well I've now finished my 4th granny tee and I'm currently finishing off my fifth one this week that I stared last year (oops). Indigo Blue came about when I took delivery of my Scheepjes Skies mini skien box (heavy/aran) and I'm in love with this yarn! I was sitting watching a film when I had the sudden urge to crochet another Granny Tee by Sarah (aka annaboos house) The mini skeins are perfect and I ended up using two boxes plus a larger 100g skein for the sleeves and joining. It has amazing drape and the colours are a subtle shift of indigo that is going to look fabulous over a white t shirt with jeans and flip flops. Perfect partnership and so bang on trend for the tie dye look that's about for festivals for this summer.  The total cost was around GBP35 not including delivery and I think for a custom made jumper that's not a bad price. I measured it as I added rows then I added side slits to my g