Skip to main content

Mustard Granny Cushion (free pattern)


Mustard Granny Cushion
Amanda Hurrell Eight-by-Six©

 




Sizes and Materials List

Hook Size UK 4mm
Yarn: Stylecraft Special DK
322 yds/295 metres per 100g ball
You can use any colour you want to for this pattern. Its great for using up your yarn stash or if you want to make as a present you can use the recipient’s favourite colours.  So many possibilities, its my favourite part choosing colours.
3 x 22mm buttons, I like the look of odd buttons with yarn colours taken from the cushion (I’ve also used four glitter buttons on my first cushion from John Lewis shown on page 8)

Wash care instructions: machine washable 40deg, cool tumble dry, cool iron, can be dry cleaned (I line dry mine) Wooden buttons are not normally machine washable, a great tip is to remove them before washing and just sew back in place once the cushion cover is dry.

 



Colours  

For the front I’ve used Tomato, Mocha, Storm Blue,Pistachio, Graphite, Mustard, Duck Egg, Raspberry,Cloud Blue & Bluebell


Tips & Notes

One great tip I learnt is to flip your work on each row. This is a great way to keep your granny square, well square and not wonky. It works like magic and since using this method I’ve never looked back. To do this you flip over your square so that the previous row and join are now in the bottom left hand corner of the square (wrong side facing you) and you start the next row in the top right of the square.
On the first and subsequent rounds I chain 2 in the corners between the tr clusters. To keep the stitches closer together, I don’t chain in-between the treble clusters along each side.


Abbreviations
ch = chain
ss = slip stitch
dc = double crochet
tr = treble
htr = half treble
Gauge: crochet to your own comfortable gauge, it’s a fun, relaxing way to make a simply granny square cushion so you need to enjoy it. Grab yourself a coffee/tea and off you go.
Skill Level: beginner  

Pattern Instructions
This pattern is written in U.K. terms and we will be using the basic granny square pattern for this blanket. It’s an easy pattern for beginners and loved by experienced crafters too. Making granny squares is very satisfying and when making two granny squares you can make this simple yet effective cushion cover. There are many variations of the granny square, this is my method.

Let’s start

Make the foundation round/circle Slip knot your yarn and insert onto your 4mm hook. Using your first colour Ch 4 stitches, insert hook into first chain and slip stitch to first chain to make a circle.
Round one Ch 3 (this will count as your first tr) 2tr, ch-2, *3tr, ch-2* repeat 3 times. Slip stich (ss) to join round You’ve completed your first round.
Round two Flip square. Change colour Ch 3 in one of the ch-2 spaces from the previous round (this will count as your first tr) you can crochet over the tail from the previous row 2tr, ch-2, 3tr (no chain) *(3tr, ch 2, 3tr) in next ch-2 space *repeat 3 times. You should now have 4 corners. You’ve completed your second round.
Round three Flip square. Change colour and join in right-hand corner ch-2 space (reverse of Round 2) ch 3 (this will count as first tr) 2tr, ch-2, 3tr, 3tr (in next 2-ch space=side), 3tr ch-2 3tr in next chain space, 3tr, repeat 3 times then slip stitch to third chain where you started. You have completed round 3.
Continue to add each row using the above method in Round three, remembering to flip each row and start in the right-hand corner and crochet over the tail from the previous row (this saves time when sewing in all the ends and makes it neater).
I have used one colour for each of the rounds (rows) alternating as shown in my colour list. Continue to add more rows/colours until you have 15 rows in total to fit the same size cushion insert that I have used. If your cushion insert is smaller/bigger, please adjust to fit.
Make the last row the colour you want to join and make your border, this will give you a nice wide band like my examples shown.
Sew in all the ends.
Make another granny square the same size, same number of rows, same finishing colour for the last row. Remember to flip each row to keep your granny square, square. You need two sides to make your granny square cushion construction.
I’ve added some photos that should help you along with the joining in method I use. If you have any questions, please do contact me via my Instagram account messages or by email to eight_by_six@hotmail.com


Joining the two granny squares
I join mine with right sides facing you (wrong sides facing together) this is the finished side. It’s a little fiddly but once you get the rhythm going it will become easier. You need to crochet through both loops on the front and back of both granny squares.
Hold both granny squares together (right side facing you) and starting on the bottom right side (4th granny cluster) insert your hook to make a SS to start the join.
Insert hook through all loops holding both granny squares together YO close both sides, 3 stitches remaining, YO pull through all the stitches. You have completed your first htr. Now htr into each stitch until you reach your first corner, making sure you crochet through both loops on the front and back granny squares.
 
In the corner : htr4 then htr into the first stitch after that corner  (shown in picture 2)  

 
Picture 2

Keep adding a hrt to each stitch all the way along until you reach the 2nd corner htr4 into the corner and continue to add a hrt to each stitch until you reach the 3rd corner (htr4 in the corner) then htr into each stitch until you reach the 4th corner, 4htr into the corner then htr into the next stitch. Htr until you reach the 4th granny cluster on the bottom left hand side. Do not ss at this point.

Next : htr into the 2nd stitch on the bottom row (see picture 3) you will now be adding a htr into each stitch on the bottom row only.

Picture 3

Add htr into every stitch until you reach the front, then htr into the first stitch on the top row through both loops (picture 3)
You will now be adding a htr into each stitch on the top row only

When you reach where you started/joined, ss to close the opening (see picture 4 below)

Picture 4




Finishing

Sew in both ends neatly using your darning needle. Weave in ends on the inside join.
Wash if required using manufacturer’s instructions, although I don’t think it will need this.

Buttons
Add the buttons to the bottom panel to line up with three granny clusters on the top panel using different colours scraps of yarn (match the colours to your granny stripe colours) When you push the buttons to close the granny cushion you should have a continuous border panel.

Cushion insert


I have used the 37 x 37cm size cushion available in many shops, mine was purchased in Dunelm but you can buy them in John Lewis.
 

Colour sequence
Raspberry (centre)
Mustard
Cloud Blue
Bluebell
Tomato
Duck Egg
Mustard
Graphite
Storm Blue
Raspberry
Pistachio
Mocha
Tomato
Duck Egg
Mustard
Mustard

Alternative colours for back (as shown in mustard version)
Meadow
Fondant
Mustard
Violet
Cloud Blue
Boysenberry
Aster
Clematis
Fondant
Mustard
Sage
Raspberry
Parma Violet
Pistachio
Tomato
Mustard (2 rows)
 
alternative colours

Credits
My crochet journey started 7 years ago when my dad was first diagnosed with cancer and my love of crochet took over my life. I love to make things and don’t like over complicated designs or constructions and came up with this pattern. Once you’ve made one, you’ll want to make lots more. You can purchase an ad free pdf pattern via my Lovecrochet, Etsy and Ravelry stores.

cushion stack


 
Pattern and photos by Amanda Hurrell, Eight-by-Six©
You are welcome to use my pattern to make cushions to sell, but please do not copy the pattern Please credit me back with eightbysix, thank you.

Comments

mamasmercantile said…
It looks wonderful, I love the colour combination. Hope all is well with you.
Eight by Six said…
thank you, I'm great thanks
Gina said…
I am new to crocheting do you have a step by step video on how to make these, I would really love to give them a try and find the videos help me so much more. Thanks Gina
Eight by Six said…
Hello Gina
Sorry I don’t have a video tutorial

Popular posts from this blog

Denim Daisy Granny Square construction

And here it is all finished last Friday, just in time for a heat wave! Seriously I do love this jumper and it fits so well with a white t shirt underneath, jeans and flip flops. Just waiting for the cold spell so that I can wear it out (rather than around the garden when its cooled down in the evenings!). I haven't written a pattern as such just some helpful notes from my pad. If people want to know how to construct one have added some notes below. As you know the Daisy Granny Square is the design of Sue Pinner from her book  Granny Squares published 2013. I do love Sue's book, its packed with so many projects and ideas and the photos are beautiful. The daisy granny square pattern is quite addictive and you soon have a small pile of them in no time! I have an idea to make another one for the autumn in the same Debbie Bliss Rialto DK yarn but all edged in shade 90 honey, I have enough in my stash. Construction  Notes:  You need to make 18 granny squa

cables without the cables (Birch Trees scarf)

Earlier this year I came across this lovely Birch Trees Scarf knitting pattern over at Hand Knitted Things . Its one of those patterns that you just have to try because its so pretty and very practical and looks far more intricate and complicated than the 4 row pattern suggests. I like to call it cables without the cables, such a clever pattern thank you Julia Marsh.  I'm knitting mine on vintage no. 7 needles (kindly given to me by my mother-in-law) and using Debbie Bliss Cashmerino charcoal out of my yarn stash that was meant to be for Ian's scarf! shh don't tell him! I use DB yarn all the time, picking up bargains in John Lewis and eBay but its the first time I've knitted with Cashmerino, and it isn't going to be the last. It gives you great stitch definition and the softest yarn ever, I love it. So here is my scarf in progress. It has been sitting in my car waiting to be loved again after I accidentally knitted the moss stitch border wrong. I know ho

My granny tee is finished

You might remember this post from about ten days ago, well I've now finished my 4th granny tee and I'm currently finishing off my fifth one this week that I stared last year (oops). Indigo Blue came about when I took delivery of my Scheepjes Skies mini skien box (heavy/aran) and I'm in love with this yarn! I was sitting watching a film when I had the sudden urge to crochet another Granny Tee by Sarah (aka annaboos house) The mini skeins are perfect and I ended up using two boxes plus a larger 100g skein for the sleeves and joining. It has amazing drape and the colours are a subtle shift of indigo that is going to look fabulous over a white t shirt with jeans and flip flops. Perfect partnership and so bang on trend for the tie dye look that's about for festivals for this summer.  The total cost was around GBP35 not including delivery and I think for a custom made jumper that's not a bad price. I measured it as I added rows then I added side slits to my g