Skip to main content

Aran cotton granny square blanket


Aran cotton Granny Square Blanket
Amanda Hurrell Eight-by-Six©

 



Sizes and Materials List

Hook Size UK 5mm
Yarn: Hobbycraft Women’s Institute Home Cotton
160m metres per 100g ball
Yarn substitute: any Aran cotton, suggestions Paintbox Aran but you will need to purchase more yarn and this uses a smaller hook size.
pattern size of approx. 100 x 100cm
One each of the following colours 100g ball + Cream 5  x 100g

Wash care instructions: machine washable 40deg mild wash, cool tumble dry, do not iron, do not bleach.

Colours

Dark pink 122-09 (for centre and 1st row of border)
Cream 122-02, alternate on every other row
Light blue 122-13
Light Pink 122-08
Yellow 122-04
Purple 122-17
Dark Blue 122-18




Tips & Notes

One great tip I learnt is to flip your work on each row. This is a great way to keep your granny square, well square and not wonky. It works like magic and since using this method I’ve never looked back. To do this you flip over your square so that the previous row and join are now in the bottom left hand corner of the square (wrong side facing you) and you start the next row in the top right of the square.
On the first and subsequent rounds I chain 2 in the corners between the tr clusters. To keep the stitches closer together, I don’t chain in-between the treble clusters along each side, some people like to ch-1.

Abbreviations
ch = chain
ss = slip stitch
dc = double crochet
tr = treble


Gauge: crochet to your own comfortable gauge, it’s a fun, relaxing way to make a fabulous blanket so you need to enjoy it. Grab yourself a coffee and off you go.
Skill Level: beginner  

Pattern Instructions
This pattern is written in U.K. terms and we will be using the basic granny square pattern for this blanket. It’s an easy pattern for beginners and loved by experienced crafters too. Making granny squares is very satisfying and when making just one large granny square you can make this simple yet effective blanket. There are many variations of the granny square, this is my method.

Let’s start

Make the foundation round/circle Slip knot your yarn and insert onto your 5mm hook. Using Dark Pink Ch 4, insert hook into first chain and slip stitch to first chain to make a circle.
Round one: Ch 3 (this will count as your first tr) 2tr, ch-2, *3tr, ch-2* repeat 3 times. Slip stich (ss) to join round You’ve completed your first round.
Round two Flip square. Change colour to contrast cream Ch 3 in one of the ch-2 spaces from the previous round (this will count as your first tr) 2tr, ch-2, 3tr (no chain) *(3tr, ch 2, 3tr) in next ch-2 space *repeat 3 times. You should now have 4 corners. SS to join. You’ve completed your second round.
Round three Flip square. Change colour to light blue and join in right-hand corner ch-2 space (reverse of Round 2) ch 3 (this will count as first tr) 2tr, ch-2, 3tr, 3tr (in next 2-ch space=side), 3tr ch-2 3tr in next chain space, 3tr, repeat 3 times then slip stitch to third chain where you started. You have completed round 3.
Continue to add each row using the above method in Round three. I have used one colour for each of the rounds (rows) alternating as shown in my colour list. Continue to follow my colour chart until you reach your desired size (mine is 32 rows plus the border, 35 rows in total). This gives you a blanket size of approx. 100 x 100 cm, big enough to cover you on chilly days. It grows quickly using a 5mm hook.

Border

Round One: using the right side facing, into one of the corners granny cluster method as used for the main blanket using Cream (ch3, tr2, ch2, tr3), ss to beginning of this round and cut yarn.
Round Two: with right side facing, ch2 (counts as first dc) dc4 into the first corner then DC into each stich using Dark Pink then ss to first stitch from the beginning of this round.
Round Three: with right side facing I started along one side, ch2 (counts as first dc) dc3 on the first corner stitches (not into the corner) then dc into each stich using Light Blue then ss to first stitch from the beginning of this round.



border row 3




border row 3


Finishing
Weave in ends (although I do this as I go along, you can also crochet over the previous row leaving just one end to cut and one end to sew in). Wash if required using manufacturer’s instructions, line dry and enjoy your new blanket.


Colour sequence
Dark pink
(cream, alternate on every other row)
Light blue
Light Pink
Yellow
Purple
Light Blue
Dark Blue

Continue with Pink, etc

Credits
My blanket journey started 5 years ago when my dad was first diagnosed with cancer and I’d learnt to crochet. I started with a granny stripe blanket taking it along to my dad’s hospital appointments. I was amazed at how many people stopped to look at me crocheting all the bright colours in the waiting room, it wasn’t a gloomy visit, far from it. At the end of my dad’s treatment I gave him that blanket which he still uses today and my love of crochet took over my life. I decided this year that rather than bake I’d Crochet instead - one of my Orla Kiely 1970s inspired blankets, big and cosy for autumn nights. 
Pattern and photos by Amanda Hurrell, Eight-by-Six©
You are welcome to use my pattern to make blankets to sell, but please do not copy the pattern Please credit me back with eightbysix, thank you.


Comments

mamasmercantile said…
A great tip for each round to keep it square. Thank you for sharing. Its a great pattern.

Popular posts from this blog

Denim Daisy Granny Square construction

And here it is all finished last Friday, just in time for a heat wave! Seriously I do love this jumper and it fits so well with a white t shirt underneath, jeans and flip flops. Just waiting for the cold spell so that I can wear it out (rather than around the garden when its cooled down in the evenings!). I haven't written a pattern as such just some helpful notes from my pad. If people want to know how to construct one have added some notes below. As you know the Daisy Granny Square is the design of Sue Pinner from her book  Granny Squares published 2013. I do love Sue's book, its packed with so many projects and ideas and the photos are beautiful. The daisy granny square pattern is quite addictive and you soon have a small pile of them in no time! I have an idea to make another one for the autumn in the same Debbie Bliss Rialto DK yarn but all edged in shade 90 honey, I have enough in my stash. Construction  Notes:  You need to make 18 granny squa

cables without the cables (Birch Trees scarf)

Earlier this year I came across this lovely Birch Trees Scarf knitting pattern over at Hand Knitted Things . Its one of those patterns that you just have to try because its so pretty and very practical and looks far more intricate and complicated than the 4 row pattern suggests. I like to call it cables without the cables, such a clever pattern thank you Julia Marsh.  I'm knitting mine on vintage no. 7 needles (kindly given to me by my mother-in-law) and using Debbie Bliss Cashmerino charcoal out of my yarn stash that was meant to be for Ian's scarf! shh don't tell him! I use DB yarn all the time, picking up bargains in John Lewis and eBay but its the first time I've knitted with Cashmerino, and it isn't going to be the last. It gives you great stitch definition and the softest yarn ever, I love it. So here is my scarf in progress. It has been sitting in my car waiting to be loved again after I accidentally knitted the moss stitch border wrong. I know ho

traffic jam (crochet simple granny triangle shawl)

I got stuck in the office on Monday night, not the best of situations but this estate I work on does get congested frequently and not helped by lorries breaking down blocking one lane of two. Anyway all was not lost because I'd had a new yarn delivery that morning and I needed an excuse to stop and crochet. And this is how this granny shawl got its name. Isn't it gorgeous? It's crochet in the new Sirdar Colourwheel DK yarn. On first inspection I wasn't that taken with it, but now I love it. No more colour changes, yipee. If you'd like to know how to make this here is the Simple Granny Triangle pattern I'm using or this link . Happy crocheting!