Skip to main content

solid granny squares

I'm trying to squeeze in making my solid granny squares whenever I can. I need 100 to complete the blanket. Some I do in my lunch break, others whilst hubby is driving me about (I can drive but why waste valuable crochet time!) some whilst watching tv after work and others as soon as I wake up with my morning cup of tea. And just look at that new mug, my new Cath Kidston bargain find at the outlet shop on Sunday.

I was testing out how to join my squares this morning, like you do. I dream crochet! I quite like the way this test has worked out, joining through two loops on the back leaving the ridge/seam at the back but its neat and makes it fully reversible.

If you missed it in my previous post here is the link to the pattern from Attic 24 - its a brilliant tutorial with pictures. I'm a visual learner so I definitely need lots of photos and inspiration - you will definitely find it here.

I stock up on my yarn from Lusciously Loopy because I like to shop from small businesses that offer a more personal service and get to know me and what I like. Lynn (the owner) offers very good prices but its the service I go for. I often send Lynn messages late in the evening with a panic buy and she's right on hand to offer sound advice on stock, patterns - well everything. So she's my go to yarn stockist every time. I've tried others but love the personal service I receive from Lynn.

I've been in sales for over 25 years in my day job, so I kind of know how it should be done, and she ticks all the boxes for me. Don;t just take my word for it, try her out next time you buy yarn. Oh and you also get some surprises inside your packages. I won't spoil it but it makes me smile every time.




And just look at that yarn, all those colours and those cutie pie boxes are just perfect for the new blanket I'm working on. Pop a couple of 10g mini into your handbag with a hook and fold up scissors and you can get your crochet fix during the day wherever you may be heading.

You can find more photos of my work in progress and past blankets on my Instagram account and Pinterest boards.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Denim Daisy Granny Square construction

And here it is all finished last Friday, just in time for a heat wave! Seriously I do love this jumper and it fits so well with a white t shirt underneath, jeans and flip flops. Just waiting for the cold spell so that I can wear it out (rather than around the garden when its cooled down in the evenings!). I haven't written a pattern as such just some helpful notes from my pad. If people want to know how to construct one have added some notes below. As you know the Daisy Granny Square is the design of Sue Pinner from her book  Granny Squares published 2013. I do love Sue's book, its packed with so many projects and ideas and the photos are beautiful. The daisy granny square pattern is quite addictive and you soon have a small pile of them in no time! I have an idea to make another one for the autumn in the same Debbie Bliss Rialto DK yarn but all edged in shade 90 honey, I have enough in my stash. Construction  Notes:  You need to make 18 granny squa

cables without the cables (Birch Trees scarf)

Earlier this year I came across this lovely Birch Trees Scarf knitting pattern over at Hand Knitted Things . Its one of those patterns that you just have to try because its so pretty and very practical and looks far more intricate and complicated than the 4 row pattern suggests. I like to call it cables without the cables, such a clever pattern thank you Julia Marsh.  I'm knitting mine on vintage no. 7 needles (kindly given to me by my mother-in-law) and using Debbie Bliss Cashmerino charcoal out of my yarn stash that was meant to be for Ian's scarf! shh don't tell him! I use DB yarn all the time, picking up bargains in John Lewis and eBay but its the first time I've knitted with Cashmerino, and it isn't going to be the last. It gives you great stitch definition and the softest yarn ever, I love it. So here is my scarf in progress. It has been sitting in my car waiting to be loved again after I accidentally knitted the moss stitch border wrong. I know ho

My granny tee is finished

You might remember this post from about ten days ago, well I've now finished my 4th granny tee and I'm currently finishing off my fifth one this week that I stared last year (oops). Indigo Blue came about when I took delivery of my Scheepjes Skies mini skien box (heavy/aran) and I'm in love with this yarn! I was sitting watching a film when I had the sudden urge to crochet another Granny Tee by Sarah (aka annaboos house) The mini skeins are perfect and I ended up using two boxes plus a larger 100g skein for the sleeves and joining. It has amazing drape and the colours are a subtle shift of indigo that is going to look fabulous over a white t shirt with jeans and flip flops. Perfect partnership and so bang on trend for the tie dye look that's about for festivals for this summer.  The total cost was around GBP35 not including delivery and I think for a custom made jumper that's not a bad price. I measured it as I added rows then I added side slits to my g