Skip to main content

Lets talk about cake

Lots to update you on but not enough time today - holiday to the Norfolk broads, project updates but for now let's talk about cake!

I was given this recipe for the Macmillan cake sale and forgot to make it. Last night I decided to give it a try but left out the chocolate topping only because I didn't have a bar in the house (which is unlike me not to keep chocolate in every kitchen cupboard) Anyway here is the recipe, please give it a try its really simple and makes a good gift when visiting a friend or relative.
 





Ingredients
200g butter, softened, plus extra for greasing the tin
200g golden caster sugar (although I used white)
3 large eggs, beaten
200g self-rasing flour
2 tsp vanilla extract
3 tbsp. milk

for the chocolate mocha
30g cocoa poder, sifted
1 1/2 tbsp. strong coffee, cooled
50g dark chocolate, melted (for the topping)

Preparation time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 55 mins
Serves: 10 (?)

Method

1. heat the oven 10 180C/160C fan/gas 4
2. grease and line a 2lb loaf tin with a strip of baking paper. In a large bowl (or mixer as I did) beat together the butter, sugar and a pinch of salt, with an electric whisk, until light and fluffy.
3. Add the eggs, a little at a time, beating well after each addition (you can add eggs to your food mixer through the funnel) Sift over and fold in the flour, along with the vanilla extract and the milk, transfer half the mixture to a separate bowl. Stir in the cocoa powder and coffee into one of the bowls.
4. Dollop spoonfuls of each mixture into the prepared tin, alternating between the two. Once all the mixture has been used up bang the tin (gently!) on the worktop to eliminate any air bubbles. use the handle of a metal spoon to swirl the mixtures together.
5. Bake for 50-55 mins or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean, cover with foil after 40 mins if it is becoming too brown.
6. Leave to cool in the tin for 20 mins, then lift onto a wire rack to cool completely.
7. Once cooled, drizzle melted chocolate over the surface of the cake and leave to set before slicing.

Comments

mamasmercantile said…
Looks like a great cake. Thank you for sharing. Take care.
Angel Jem said…
Chocolate cake. Yum. Put the kettle on, I'll be there in 5 x

Popular posts from this blog

Denim Daisy Granny Square construction

And here it is all finished last Friday, just in time for a heat wave! Seriously I do love this jumper and it fits so well with a white t shirt underneath, jeans and flip flops. Just waiting for the cold spell so that I can wear it out (rather than around the garden when its cooled down in the evenings!). I haven't written a pattern as such just some helpful notes from my pad. If people want to know how to construct one have added some notes below. As you know the Daisy Granny Square is the design of Sue Pinner from her book  Granny Squares published 2013. I do love Sue's book, its packed with so many projects and ideas and the photos are beautiful. The daisy granny square pattern is quite addictive and you soon have a small pile of them in no time! I have an idea to make another one for the autumn in the same Debbie Bliss Rialto DK yarn but all edged in shade 90 honey, I have enough in my stash. Construction  Notes:  You need to make 18 granny squa

cables without the cables (Birch Trees scarf)

Earlier this year I came across this lovely Birch Trees Scarf knitting pattern over at Hand Knitted Things . Its one of those patterns that you just have to try because its so pretty and very practical and looks far more intricate and complicated than the 4 row pattern suggests. I like to call it cables without the cables, such a clever pattern thank you Julia Marsh.  I'm knitting mine on vintage no. 7 needles (kindly given to me by my mother-in-law) and using Debbie Bliss Cashmerino charcoal out of my yarn stash that was meant to be for Ian's scarf! shh don't tell him! I use DB yarn all the time, picking up bargains in John Lewis and eBay but its the first time I've knitted with Cashmerino, and it isn't going to be the last. It gives you great stitch definition and the softest yarn ever, I love it. So here is my scarf in progress. It has been sitting in my car waiting to be loved again after I accidentally knitted the moss stitch border wrong. I know ho

My granny tee is finished

You might remember this post from about ten days ago, well I've now finished my 4th granny tee and I'm currently finishing off my fifth one this week that I stared last year (oops). Indigo Blue came about when I took delivery of my Scheepjes Skies mini skien box (heavy/aran) and I'm in love with this yarn! I was sitting watching a film when I had the sudden urge to crochet another Granny Tee by Sarah (aka annaboos house) The mini skeins are perfect and I ended up using two boxes plus a larger 100g skein for the sleeves and joining. It has amazing drape and the colours are a subtle shift of indigo that is going to look fabulous over a white t shirt with jeans and flip flops. Perfect partnership and so bang on trend for the tie dye look that's about for festivals for this summer.  The total cost was around GBP35 not including delivery and I think for a custom made jumper that's not a bad price. I measured it as I added rows then I added side slits to my g