Tuesday, 21 April 2015

I did it! (Swimathon 2015)


I took on the individual 1.5k Swimathon challenge and on Sunday, 19 April - I swam along with 9 other keen swimmers at Swallows Leisure Centre. The Sittingbourne Leisure Centre hasn’t held a Swimathon event for many years; Charlie the swimming coordinator was keen to host the event this year. It wasn’t very well attended this year which is not surprising; only ten people took part on Sunday, I’m not sure how many attended on Friday, 17 April. I’m hoping that Swallows host it next year and make it a bigger event because it’s my local pool. This didn’t put me off because it was a nice atmosphere and meant that most of the swimmers could get in and start straight away at 3pm. I’ve been training for three months fitting in swimming around my job and family life, averaging at two swims a week. I’m so pleased I did prepare because my time was great for my first event, 51 minutes and 50 seconds. Not bad for someone who only took up swimming again last July after a 16 year break! I think on the day I was nervous and the adrenalin took over, I’ve never completed 1.5k in training in such a fast time. I also managed to raise £550 for this year’s chosen charity (Marie Curie) doing something I really enjoy. Now the aches are wearing off I’ll be back in the pool this week.

8 comments:

Mitzi said...

Well done Amanda.

mamasmercantile said...

Congratulations, a wonderful achievement.

SaraJ said...

Well done - I'm impressed. I'm a lousy swimmer - just swim to cool down on holiday!

Angel Jem said...

Brilliant time, and well done on the fundraising!

Marlene jones said...

Congratulations, your time was brilliant.

Jo said...

Congratulations, you should be very proud of yourself. I admire anyone who puts themselves out for charity like this, Marie Curie is such a worthwhile cause.

Bridget said...

Well done you...huge pat on the back x

Moochka said...

Yeey you!! Well done xx