Skip to main content

buy hand-made

Even though I make things myself, I always try to buy hand-made when I can and to admire other crafters/artists work. As you know I have a Folksy shop but it's not that fancy, I just add the odd thing I make from time to time. Working full time doesn't allow me to stock it with everything I could make but my hobbies are used every day in the evenings as a good way to unwind and keep my fingers busy. At the moment I crochet in every spare moment and I'm now working on another granny blanket, this time squares. I drive the boys in my house mad with my yarn stash and have to have lots of projects on the go at once to stop me from getting bored! I'm even trying to get a new project together to take on holiday in October (on the Broads this time for hubbies big birthday!)

So today I wanted to highlight one of my recent purchases on Folksy and to share the makers details with you all. I received it in the post this morning at work, I love receiving pretty packages especially when this is a little present to myself! It is the cutest desk diary you could ever wish to own and have on your desk or craft table. The box is well constructed and very useful. You could put your appointments in each month too on a business card and I bought myself some cute small sticky notes to do just that.

You can find out more of Sonia's lovely work over at Folksy

desk calender box


Comments

I was thinking the same thing the other day about using local handmade business. We are after new bookcases for the sitting room & have found somewhere local who hand makes furniture. Thankfully at a reasonable price. Your storage box looks great & is sure to last along time.

Popular posts from this blog

Denim Daisy Granny Square construction

And here it is all finished last Friday, just in time for a heat wave! Seriously I do love this jumper and it fits so well with a white t shirt underneath, jeans and flip flops. Just waiting for the cold spell so that I can wear it out (rather than around the garden when its cooled down in the evenings!). I haven't written a pattern as such just some helpful notes from my pad. If people want to know how to construct one have added some notes below. As you know the Daisy Granny Square is the design of Sue Pinner from her book  Granny Squares published 2013. I do love Sue's book, its packed with so many projects and ideas and the photos are beautiful. The daisy granny square pattern is quite addictive and you soon have a small pile of them in no time! I have an idea to make another one for the autumn in the same Debbie Bliss Rialto DK yarn but all edged in shade 90 honey, I have enough in my stash. Construction  Notes:  You need to make 18 granny squa

cables without the cables (Birch Trees scarf)

Earlier this year I came across this lovely Birch Trees Scarf knitting pattern over at Hand Knitted Things . Its one of those patterns that you just have to try because its so pretty and very practical and looks far more intricate and complicated than the 4 row pattern suggests. I like to call it cables without the cables, such a clever pattern thank you Julia Marsh.  I'm knitting mine on vintage no. 7 needles (kindly given to me by my mother-in-law) and using Debbie Bliss Cashmerino charcoal out of my yarn stash that was meant to be for Ian's scarf! shh don't tell him! I use DB yarn all the time, picking up bargains in John Lewis and eBay but its the first time I've knitted with Cashmerino, and it isn't going to be the last. It gives you great stitch definition and the softest yarn ever, I love it. So here is my scarf in progress. It has been sitting in my car waiting to be loved again after I accidentally knitted the moss stitch border wrong. I know ho

traffic jam (crochet simple granny triangle shawl)

I got stuck in the office on Monday night, not the best of situations but this estate I work on does get congested frequently and not helped by lorries breaking down blocking one lane of two. Anyway all was not lost because I'd had a new yarn delivery that morning and I needed an excuse to stop and crochet. And this is how this granny shawl got its name. Isn't it gorgeous? It's crochet in the new Sirdar Colourwheel DK yarn. On first inspection I wasn't that taken with it, but now I love it. No more colour changes, yipee. If you'd like to know how to make this here is the Simple Granny Triangle pattern I'm using or this link . Happy crocheting!