Preheat the oven to 160°C.
- 1 Grease and line a deep 8” cake tin.
- 2 Cream together the softened butter and caster sugar on a medium speed until light and fluffy.
- 3 Add the orange zest and beat until evenly dispersed.
- 4 Add the eggs one by one following each with a spoonful of the flour. Mix until evenly combined.
- 5 Sift in the remaining flour and mix using the fold setting.
- 6 Finally add the milk, orange juice and poppy seeds and fold through until the cake mixture is an even consistency.
- 7 Fill the prepared tin with cake mixture and roughly level the top using the back of a spoon.
- 8 Bake in the oven for 1 hour 20 minutes until well risen and golden.
- 9 Transfer to a wire rack and allow to cool completely.
- 10 Mix together the icing sugar to a smooth glaze with the orange juice. Pour over the top of the cooled cake, leave to set for around 10 to 20 minutes and enjoy!
- 250g butter, softened
- 250g golden caster sugar
- 5 eggs, large
- 180g plain flour
- 60g self-raising flour
- 50ml Just milk
- 1 orange, the zest and juice of
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- 100g icing sugar, sifted
- 2 tsp orange juice
Total time required 1 hr 45 mins
- Preparation time: 25 mins
- Cooking time: 1 hr 20 mins
- Other time: Plus cooling time.