If you fancy giving it a try here is the recipe. Its easy and only takes about an hour to make.
- Put the tomatoes and apples in a large pan with the lemon juice and gently cook on a low heat until the fruit turns into a pulp mixure
- Add the sugar and bring gently to the boil stirring often, and boil rapidly for 5 mins stirring lots to prevent burning
- Reduce the heat, and simmer very gently for a further 15-20 minutes stirring to prevent burning until setting point is reached. If using a sugar thermometer, the jam is ready when the temperature reaches 105°C/210°f. If you don't have a thermometer, chill a saucer in the refrigerator for 15 minutes. Spoon a little of the jam onto the cold saucer.
- Push the flat edge of a knife against the edge of the jam blob and if the surface wrinkles it is beginning to set. If it doesn't wrinkle, put the plate back in the fridge and cook the jam for another minute, then test again
- Allow to cool for 15 minutes then pour into sterilised jars. filling them almost to the top
- Cover the jars at once, using waxed discs and lids if you have them, set aside to cool
If you don't have lids, when the jam is cold, cover the jars with cellophane, and secure with a rubber band
- Store in a cool dry place for up to 6 months
taken from cookit.e2bn.org/recipes