Saturday, 23 October 2010

Christmas crafts

Just popped in to say have a great weekend. I'm currently concentrating on Christmas crafts for presents and the plan is to have a crafting afternoon. I've almost finished three pairs of fingerless gloves and I need to get on with some bunting for a friends present in Holland. There just isn't enough time is there? I was thinking of giving a pair of gloves and some nice handcream as a small gift to some friends at work, what do you think? Would you be happy to receive a hand made item? You put a lot of effort into making something and I'd hate to think the receiver thinks its a dull gift. Anyway enjoy your weekend, Sunday looks like the more promising day weather wise, so we are off for a long walk in the woods. Amanda x

6 comments:

CraftyHelen said...

Hi - I would be thrilled to receive a handmade present, but I know that some of my friends would be horrified. Some people just don't 'get' the handmade thing do they? I think that gloves and handcream make a very thoughtful gift.xx

eight by six said...

Thanks Helen. I love your decorations on your house, they look fab. Must have taken you ages to work out where to place everything. I've just made a batch of chilli jam, my eyes are stinging!

Jo said...

Hope you enjoyed your afternoon. I would love to receive a handmade item as a gift, but unless the recipients are crafty themselves, I don't think they appreciate the work that's gone in to making the gift. Saying that, everyone needs gloves so I'm sure they would like them. I've just finished the scarf I was knitting, it's on my blog www.jo-throughthekeyhole.blogspot.com

eight by six said...

thank Jo. I ended up making chilli jam + pickled chillies. I've sew up one glove and fits unlike my first pair that came out too big! I might felt them. Funny I was thinking about you then I read your message.

Carolyn said...

I think it would depend on the recipient, if you thought they would wear fingerless gloves. Try and match the colour to what they usually wear if you can. I would love purple, but wouldn't wear orange or brown..

But how many times have you been given a bought gift that you have had to pretend to like? Too many to count, I suspect.

eight by six said...

Thanks Carolyn - good advice. I'm also making them for my nieces and I asked them what colours they wanted and said I wouldn't be upset if they didn't want them! I agree with Jo, if they don't craft themselves they don't appreciate the work and thought that went into it.