Skip to main content

Carnival Granny Blanket free pattern





Carnival Granny Stripe Blanket
Amanda Hurrell Eight-by-Six©

 

Sizes and Materials List
Hook Size UK 4mm 

Yarn: I’ve used Stylecraft Special DK (which is 322 yds/295 metres per 100g ball and retails at around £1.95 per ball for 100g) I buy mine from Love Crafts and this is where you can find my ad free pattern
Stylecraft Special DK wash care instructions: machine washable 30deg, can be dry cleaned (I line dry mine)

Colours
turquoise
lipstick
raspberry
duck egg
denim
mustard
pistachio
boysenberry
bluebell
lavender
violet

Tips & Notes

Sewing in the ends. Everyone dreads this part but from previous experience its much easier and quicker to sew them in as you go along. Maybe choose to sew in ten or so rows at one time. I do this now with a tea break and it makes finishing the blanket a nicer experience and much quicker and neater too.

Abbreviations
ch = chain
sl st = slip stitch
dc = double crochet
tr = treble
htr = half treble 
Gauge: crochet to your own comfortable gauge, it’s a fun, relaxing way to make a fabulous blanket so you need to enjoy it. Grab yourself a cup of tea and off you go.
Skill Level: beginner, easy (you can modify the border to give it your own touch) You can get inspiration from Instagram, Pinterest or a good book (Around the Corner Crochet Borders by Edie Eckman is the one I use for inspiration).


Pattern Instructions
This pattern is written in U.K. terms and we will be using the basic granny stripe pattern for this blanket. It’s an easy pattern for beginners and loved by experienced crafters too. Changing colour on each row makes you enjoy the overall crochet experience and using all these colours brightens up the day.

Let’s start

Make the foundation round – chain 200 fairly loosely so that the first round is easy to work on. I hate it when you start the foundation chain really tight. You could use a hook size larger this helps, experiment to see what suits you.
Starting row - begin in the 2nd chain from the hook. work 1 dc in each stitch to the end. You should have 199 stitches
Round 1 Chain 3 (counts as 1 tr) then work 1 tr into the stitch at the base of the chain-3 you just made followed by two more (first treble cluster completed). Skip two sts your next treble cluster goes in the third stitch. Continue to add your treble clusters in this way missing 2 sts and tr cluster in the third stitch until you reach the last 3 sts.  Miss 2 sts then add 2 tr into the last stitch and turn. 
Round 2 Add new colour, ch3 (counts as 1tr) work 1 tr cluster into the first space, work another tr cluster into the next space, continue until you reach the end of this row, you need to make 1 tr stitch to finish. Do this at the top of the chain-3 that you made at the start of the row below. Work 1 tr into the top chain of this chain-3.
Continue each row as above until you have reached your size, mine is 120 rows plus the border.

Border
I’ve let the colours do all the work and finished with a very simple border, picking up the turquoise its brought out the colours in the blanket. I like simple borders that highlight the colours used in the main blanket.

If you’d like to add the same border here are the instructions:  

Row 1 attach Denim add 1 row granny clusters into each space from the previous row (3tr into the right-hand corner on the reverse of the last row, ch2, 3tr *repeat one round

Row 2 attach Raspberry yarn, htr into each stitch, htr 4 times into each corner  

Row 3 attached Mustard yarn, htr into each stitch, htr 4 times into each corner in between the st from the following row (you can see this clearly on my last photo)

Row 4 attach Purple yarn, htr into each stitch, when you reach the corner htr twice into the first , second and third st from the previous row, this should result in an even corner

Row 5 the scallop edge, attach yarn Turquoise to wrong side (remembering you’ve flipped your work from previous round) I attached mine about halfway round on the right side with 2 sl st then 2dc, ch1, 2dc into same space, *2 sl st 2dc, ch1, 2dc into same space *repeat all the way around. When you come to the corner spaces just do the same. It should result in an even scallop edge like mine.


Finishing
Weave in ends (although I do this as I go along, you can also crochet over the previous row leaving just one end to cut and one end to sew in). Wash if required using manufacturer’s instructions, line dry and enjoy your new blanket.
Color Sequence
I’ve used random colours in the Stylecraft Special DK range. Please see my colour chart.

Credits my carnival inspired blanket was born from my love of visiting the Norfolk Broads. I visit every year and the colours in this blanket were sure to brighten every autumn day on the water. You could try something in your yarn stash the possibilities are endless. I’ve chosen Stylecraft Special DK because there are over 70 colours to choose from, its relatively cheap to make, machine washable and very soft but also hard wearing. You want a blanket to last.
Pattern and photos by Amanda Hurrell, Eight-by-Six©
You are welcome to use my photos and make blankets to sell from my pattern, but please credit me back.


Comments

mamasmercantile said…
Its beautiful, the colours are a delight. I really can imagine myself at the Norfolk Broads wrapped up in that little beauty. Stay safe.
Lovely Amanda as always.

Mx

Popular posts from this blog

Denim Daisy Granny Square construction

And here it is all finished last Friday, just in time for a heat wave! Seriously I do love this jumper and it fits so well with a white t shirt underneath, jeans and flip flops. Just waiting for the cold spell so that I can wear it out (rather than around the garden when its cooled down in the evenings!). I haven't written a pattern as such just some helpful notes from my pad. If people want to know how to construct one have added some notes below. As you know the Daisy Granny Square is the design of Sue Pinner from her book  Granny Squares published 2013. I do love Sue's book, its packed with so many projects and ideas and the photos are beautiful. The daisy granny square pattern is quite addictive and you soon have a small pile of them in no time! I have an idea to make another one for the autumn in the same Debbie Bliss Rialto DK yarn but all edged in shade 90 honey, I have enough in my stash. Construction  Notes:  You need to make 18 granny squa

cables without the cables (Birch Trees scarf)

Earlier this year I came across this lovely Birch Trees Scarf knitting pattern over at Hand Knitted Things . Its one of those patterns that you just have to try because its so pretty and very practical and looks far more intricate and complicated than the 4 row pattern suggests. I like to call it cables without the cables, such a clever pattern thank you Julia Marsh.  I'm knitting mine on vintage no. 7 needles (kindly given to me by my mother-in-law) and using Debbie Bliss Cashmerino charcoal out of my yarn stash that was meant to be for Ian's scarf! shh don't tell him! I use DB yarn all the time, picking up bargains in John Lewis and eBay but its the first time I've knitted with Cashmerino, and it isn't going to be the last. It gives you great stitch definition and the softest yarn ever, I love it. So here is my scarf in progress. It has been sitting in my car waiting to be loved again after I accidentally knitted the moss stitch border wrong. I know ho

My granny tee is finished

You might remember this post from about ten days ago, well I've now finished my 4th granny tee and I'm currently finishing off my fifth one this week that I stared last year (oops). Indigo Blue came about when I took delivery of my Scheepjes Skies mini skien box (heavy/aran) and I'm in love with this yarn! I was sitting watching a film when I had the sudden urge to crochet another Granny Tee by Sarah (aka annaboos house) The mini skeins are perfect and I ended up using two boxes plus a larger 100g skein for the sleeves and joining. It has amazing drape and the colours are a subtle shift of indigo that is going to look fabulous over a white t shirt with jeans and flip flops. Perfect partnership and so bang on trend for the tie dye look that's about for festivals for this summer.  The total cost was around GBP35 not including delivery and I think for a custom made jumper that's not a bad price. I measured it as I added rows then I added side slits to my g