Skip to main content

The knitted beanie

Those of you who regularly follow me over on my Instagram will know that I've been obsessed with knitting the Big Easy Beanie this summer into Autumn. I've knitted it in so many yarns and colour combinations I can't stop! So I thought I'd share with you this versatile pattern (not the actual pattern) but the yarns I've used and what I recommend. You can buy the pattern here on Ravelry (its not mine!)


the stripes edition

All my left over Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran has been used in my stripe beanie edition shown above. I used under 50g in the grey plus a few oddments of colours I used in previous hats. 

It knits up quickly and is a great little project to knit for Christmas gifts or charity hats. Its definitely not your basic beanie. Whatever yarn you choose I bet you can't stop at one hat!

If you don't fancy knitting one I have most of these beanies for sale in my Etsy shop. They can be supplied in a gifting box or just the beanie. I'm adding other colours over the next week including a winters rainbow and denim aran mix.


hand dye yarn and Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran


For ladies beanie version I've used hand dye yarn by both Sew Happy Creative and Hedgerow Yarns at around £16 per 100g skein. But the great thing about both these yarns is you can use the left over yarn to knit the brim on the next beanie mixing it with another Aran yarn (I've used Debbie Bliss Cashmerino 50g at around £4.95 from Lovecrafts ) This is my go to Aran for knitted hats. 

If you are looking at costs, and who isn't in the run up to Christmas. You can try Sirdar Soiree in Aran. It has glitter thread running through it and sparkles like magic. Now I'm not a huge lover of fashion yarn but this one, well its fabulous. I knitted my mums Christmas hat in no time and the stitch defintion is great. I bought mine back in the summer but you can buy some now on Ebay for just £2.99 per 50g and using this pattern I used around 40g, brilliant and it has a vintage feel. If you click on my photo below you can see the glitter.


Sirdar Soiree

Other versions in Debbie Bliss Cashmerino mustard, shown here on a rainy day in October and a custom order I made in charcoal (this is just a gorgeous colour and is unisex).


mustard edition



Charcoal edition




unicorn poop edition by Wildflower Yarns


pink edition knitted in Louisa Harding Akiko




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Denim Daisy Granny Square construction

And here it is all finished last Friday, just in time for a heat wave! Seriously I do love this jumper and it fits so well with a white t shirt underneath, jeans and flip flops. Just waiting for the cold spell so that I can wear it out (rather than around the garden when its cooled down in the evenings!). I haven't written a pattern as such just some helpful notes from my pad. If people want to know how to construct one have added some notes below. As you know the Daisy Granny Square is the design of Sue Pinner from her book  Granny Squares published 2013. I do love Sue's book, its packed with so many projects and ideas and the photos are beautiful. The daisy granny square pattern is quite addictive and you soon have a small pile of them in no time! I have an idea to make another one for the autumn in the same Debbie Bliss Rialto DK yarn but all edged in shade 90 honey, I have enough in my stash. Construction  Notes:  You need to make 18 granny squa

cables without the cables (Birch Trees scarf)

Earlier this year I came across this lovely Birch Trees Scarf knitting pattern over at Hand Knitted Things . Its one of those patterns that you just have to try because its so pretty and very practical and looks far more intricate and complicated than the 4 row pattern suggests. I like to call it cables without the cables, such a clever pattern thank you Julia Marsh.  I'm knitting mine on vintage no. 7 needles (kindly given to me by my mother-in-law) and using Debbie Bliss Cashmerino charcoal out of my yarn stash that was meant to be for Ian's scarf! shh don't tell him! I use DB yarn all the time, picking up bargains in John Lewis and eBay but its the first time I've knitted with Cashmerino, and it isn't going to be the last. It gives you great stitch definition and the softest yarn ever, I love it. So here is my scarf in progress. It has been sitting in my car waiting to be loved again after I accidentally knitted the moss stitch border wrong. I know ho

traffic jam (crochet simple granny triangle shawl)

I got stuck in the office on Monday night, not the best of situations but this estate I work on does get congested frequently and not helped by lorries breaking down blocking one lane of two. Anyway all was not lost because I'd had a new yarn delivery that morning and I needed an excuse to stop and crochet. And this is how this granny shawl got its name. Isn't it gorgeous? It's crochet in the new Sirdar Colourwheel DK yarn. On first inspection I wasn't that taken with it, but now I love it. No more colour changes, yipee. If you'd like to know how to make this here is the Simple Granny Triangle pattern I'm using or this link . Happy crocheting!