Skip to main content

home-made mince pies


first batch after a quality control check!
I've had a busy week at work and with sewing orders, it suddenly went mad and everyone wanting lavender stacks. Thankfully its quieter now and gave me time to make mince pies to take to my family in London tomorrow. I did have one sort of famous order from a lady called Violet Hesketh, surely there can't be two people with the same name? I was about to post the order when I thought 'I know that name from somewhere' so googled her (like you do). How funny.

I don't like shop bought mince pies; the pastry is always too dry and when you bite into them where is the filling? It's more satisfy making your own pastry and spending an hour or two with the radio on baking. Tonight I had the house to myself and made 45 little mince pies; some with normal mincemeat and some with a new one I found with added cranberries and a rich red puree. I always enjoy baking and popping on star biscuits for the top, and the smell of home-baked cakes is always lovely and gets me in the mood for Christmas without being stressed out! Enjoy the rest of your Christmas preparations this weekend whether you are writing cards, visting family and friends or decorating your house in readiness.

Comments

Anne said…
They look totally delish! I havent had chance to make any yet!
Jo said…
I don't like mince pies, but they look lovely with the little stars on top. I placed my order for the crochet magazine, I'm looking forward to receiving it.
Jo said…
Just popping by to wish you a very merry Christmas. I hope you have a wonderful time over the festive period.
Angel Jem said…
Lovely looking mince pies! I hope you had a good Christmas? I am visiting on a blogroll hop from Through the Keyhole. I like your blog. Thanks for writing!

Popular posts from this blog

Denim Daisy Granny Square construction

And here it is all finished last Friday, just in time for a heat wave! Seriously I do love this jumper and it fits so well with a white t shirt underneath, jeans and flip flops. Just waiting for the cold spell so that I can wear it out (rather than around the garden when its cooled down in the evenings!). I haven't written a pattern as such just some helpful notes from my pad. If people want to know how to construct one have added some notes below. As you know the Daisy Granny Square is the design of Sue Pinner from her book  Granny Squares published 2013. I do love Sue's book, its packed with so many projects and ideas and the photos are beautiful. The daisy granny square pattern is quite addictive and you soon have a small pile of them in no time! I have an idea to make another one for the autumn in the same Debbie Bliss Rialto DK yarn but all edged in shade 90 honey, I have enough in my stash. Construction  Notes:  You need to make 18 grann...

Summer Spice granny blanket pattern

Summer Spice Baby Granny Square Blanket Amanda Hurrell Eight-by-Six©     An easy to adapt granny square blanket, size given is for a baby blanket approx size 65cm x 65cm This is a free blog pattern but an add-free pdf can be purchsed from my LoveCrafts shop Sizes and Materials List Hook Size: UK 4mm (I use Clover brand) Stitch markers: (4) optional Yarn: Stylecraft Special DK (322 yds/295 metres per 100g ball) Tension: 22 stitches to 30 rows to 10cm on 4mm hook Pattern size of approx. 70 cm x 70 cm for baby/lap blanket or why not do a four colour pattern repeat for a larger blanket approximately 140cm x 140cm One each of the following 100g ball Wash care instructions: machine washable 40deg, cool tumble dry, cool iron, can be dry cleaned (I line dry mine) Colours (14 in total) Stylecraft Special DK and Cygnet DK Turquoise (1068) Aster (1003) Buttermilk (1835) Sherbet (10...

Feather & Fan scarf free knitting pattern

This month I'm getting ahead with gifts (dare I say it Christmas in July!) I had some fabulous merino DK yarn in my stash from Biffsugar Yarns in the colourway Waterlilly (225m per 100g) so I decided to knit a simple 4 row feather and fan scarf. The yarn is actually slightly heavier than DK (I think) so the scarf is knitting up beautifully and very soft, snuggly and bouncy. Going green If you would like to knit one I've added my preferred simple pattern below. If you have any questions please contact me via my Instagram account. Materials: Biff Sugar Yarn (Merino DK) shade Waterlilly (200g total) Knitting needles: KnitPro Symfonie 4mm short tips on 50cm cable Pattern: cast on 58 stitches using cable cast on (or your preferred method) Rows 1-8 : Knit all stitches (garter stitch) Begin pattern: Row 1 : Knit Row 2 : K2, purl to last 2 stitches, K2 Row 3: K2 *(K2tog) 3 times, (YO K1) 6 times, repeat from * to last two stitches, K2 Row 4: Knit When yo...