Skip to main content

Crochet, I'm hooked!


I taught myself a new skill over the Christmas period, crochet. I've always wanted to learn how to do it so that I could make a granny blanket (well thats the plan).

I and didn't know where to start so I bought myself a book. I didn't really learn that much from the book and decided to just give it a go (and asked some friends some advice along the way). And after three days I had mastered some basic stitches. I'm not very good but practice makes perfect. It's really fun and different from knitting. I'm going to attempt to make a scarf first now that I've practised a bit! I'll post a picture when I've finished it. The wool I've bought to use is Anchor Style Magicline (dotty). It's a cream colour with flecks of colour and is 100% cotton. What I like about it is the texture and it comes out thicker than you first think and grows quickly, much quicker than knitting. The wool is available at Kemps Woolshop for 59p per ball (plus delivery) and is available in lots of fun colours http://www.kempswoolshop.com/

I found a scarf pattern on The Sunroom blog this evening, so I'll try that one.
http://www.goodtimesithinkso.blogspot.com/

Have you learnt a new skill recently?

Crochet (pronounced /kroʊˈʃeɪ/) is a process of creating fabric from yarn or thread using a crochet hook. The word is derived from the French word "crochet", meaning hook. Crocheting, similar to knitting, consists of pulling loops of yarn through other loops. Crochet differs from knitting in that only one loop is active at one time (the sole exception being Tunisian crochet), and that a crochet hook is used instead of knitting needles.


Comments

Omara said…
Welcome to the crazy world of Crochet. I'm hooked too and actually just started running crochet classes! I just got a large order from the Kempwool shop and I'm literally frothing at the mouth. If you want to obsess with someone, share a pattern or whatever Crochet thing you fancy, you're welcome to contact me on omara@omarama.co.uk
Eight by Six said…
Great thanks for that. I'll contact you very soon :-) I love it now that I can do a bit. I'm a long way off reading a pattern but after years of knitting I finally did it!

Popular posts from this blog

Denim Daisy Granny Square construction

And here it is all finished last Friday, just in time for a heat wave! Seriously I do love this jumper and it fits so well with a white t shirt underneath, jeans and flip flops. Just waiting for the cold spell so that I can wear it out (rather than around the garden when its cooled down in the evenings!). I haven't written a pattern as such just some helpful notes from my pad. If people want to know how to construct one have added some notes below. As you know the Daisy Granny Square is the design of Sue Pinner from her book  Granny Squares published 2013. I do love Sue's book, its packed with so many projects and ideas and the photos are beautiful. The daisy granny square pattern is quite addictive and you soon have a small pile of them in no time! I have an idea to make another one for the autumn in the same Debbie Bliss Rialto DK yarn but all edged in shade 90 honey, I have enough in my stash. Construction  Notes:  You need to make 18 grann...

Summer Spice granny blanket pattern

Summer Spice Baby Granny Square Blanket Amanda Hurrell Eight-by-Six©     An easy to adapt granny square blanket, size given is for a baby blanket approx size 65cm x 65cm This is a free blog pattern but an add-free pdf can be purchsed from my LoveCrafts shop Sizes and Materials List Hook Size: UK 4mm (I use Clover brand) Stitch markers: (4) optional Yarn: Stylecraft Special DK (322 yds/295 metres per 100g ball) Tension: 22 stitches to 30 rows to 10cm on 4mm hook Pattern size of approx. 70 cm x 70 cm for baby/lap blanket or why not do a four colour pattern repeat for a larger blanket approximately 140cm x 140cm One each of the following 100g ball Wash care instructions: machine washable 40deg, cool tumble dry, cool iron, can be dry cleaned (I line dry mine) Colours (14 in total) Stylecraft Special DK and Cygnet DK Turquoise (1068) Aster (1003) Buttermilk (1835) Sherbet (10...

Feather & Fan scarf free knitting pattern

This month I'm getting ahead with gifts (dare I say it Christmas in July!) I had some fabulous merino DK yarn in my stash from Biffsugar Yarns in the colourway Waterlilly (225m per 100g) so I decided to knit a simple 4 row feather and fan scarf. The yarn is actually slightly heavier than DK (I think) so the scarf is knitting up beautifully and very soft, snuggly and bouncy. Going green If you would like to knit one I've added my preferred simple pattern below. If you have any questions please contact me via my Instagram account. Materials: Biff Sugar Yarn (Merino DK) shade Waterlilly (200g total) Knitting needles: KnitPro Symfonie 4mm short tips on 50cm cable Pattern: cast on 58 stitches using cable cast on (or your preferred method) Rows 1-8 : Knit all stitches (garter stitch) Begin pattern: Row 1 : Knit Row 2 : K2, purl to last 2 stitches, K2 Row 3: K2 *(K2tog) 3 times, (YO K1) 6 times, repeat from * to last two stitches, K2 Row 4: Knit When yo...